Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Bayo's What's Your Mix ad campaign

So Bayo has been receiving flak over their new What's Your Mix ad campaign, the posters of which you can find below.

bayo ad campaign
Bayo ad with text. This has been since taken down.












Personally -- and I know I'm not the only one who feels this -- I find it offensive. I'm not going to sugarcoat that. You don't even need the text to get the subliminal message, that is, you're not good enough if you're 100% Filipino. You need to have mixed lineage.


twitter reactions on bayo ad campagin
Twitter reactions courtesy of Mashable
This What's Your Mix ad campaign of Bayo has been reported in major websites including Mashable and television networks ABS-CBN and GMA-7.

Let's not remove the context of this ad campaign. In our culture, those that have Caucasian features are viewed as ideal. Just this week I'm thinking of doing a study why and how this has come about, and this ridiculous ad from Bayo pointed out an answer -- it's what the commercial companies want the public to believe. This ad campaign is no better.

Sloppy execution of their marketing campaign? I don't buy that. In marketing campaigns, the copy and the photos to be used undergo a lot of stages of revision and should be approved by the client. Whatever message the photos give is intended.




Those said, I'm 100% Pinay and I know I'm beautiful.

And Bayo, shame on you.


(What about you? What do you think about Bayo's ad campaign?)

No comments:

Post a Comment