Digital perms are very popular especially in Asia where people have naturally straight hair. Now, you have probably read the term "digital perm" on a list of hair treatments in a salon, in a hair article review, or from your buddies and has millions of questions in your head.
Well, here's an FAQ to help you.
- What type of hair suits digital perms?If you have thick or coarse hair, then digital perm is for you. Digital perms do not work well on thin hair.
You can get a digital perm whether your hair is short or long. However, if you want to have the full look, that is, curls that fall naturally, hair that is a few inches below the shoulder is recommended.
- Do digital perms work for any hair length?
- Can I ask for different kinds of curl with a digital perm?
Yes. They have rods of different sizes, which are used for smaller or bigger curls, from ringlets to loose, beach waves. Normally, the stylist will assesses what particular kind of curl fits you, and if this also fits into your hair condition.
Yes. Digital perm and haircut work together to give you the look that you want. Let your stylist evaluate what haircut suits you. It is not uncommon for your stylist to layer and thin out your hair when you are getting a digital perm, so don't worry. If you are not comfortable with a haircut, you might opt to talk to your stylist about a different kind of perm instead.
- Are haircuts necessary if I want a digital perm?
- Are digital perms damaging?Yes, like other hair treatments on hair salons, digital perms cause damage to your hair. This is why you should first test if your hair is healthy (here's how) or ask your stylist when you go in for a visit.
- I have rebonded hair, can I still get a digital perm?Yes, but it remains on the discretion of your hair stylist if he/she thinks your hair can still stand another treatment.
- Can hair coloring and digital perm go together?No. Hair coloring always go after a digital perm treatment.
- How long is the process of getting a digital perm?
Three to four hours.
- How long should I wait to wash my hair after getting a digital perm?Typically 24-48 hours.
- How long do digital perms last?
Depending on the type of your hair and how you take care of it, digital perms can last 3 months up to 1 year. If you want to maintain the look, go back for another treatment when the curls start to straighten, which will happen eventually, or when your hair starts to grow out.
Go back to your hair salon. No, seriously.
- My digital perm somehow didn't produce enough curls, what should I do?