Friday, September 30, 2011

Review: Nanay Rose's Sticks & Pulls honey wax

OMG, this is my first product review. :)

I purchased Nanay Rose's Sticks & Pulls honey wax months ago at the Department Store in Mall of Asia for Php224.00 because I am a late bloomer and had just enough of shaving; it causes dark underarms that take so much effort (as well as products and product testing) to whiten.


Nanay Rose's sticks & pulls honey wax
Nanay Rose's honey wax comes with spatulas and washable pulls

I bought this because the label says "all-natural hair remover," and like I have mentioned before, I am a fan of organic and natural products. This one uses honey, sugar, and lemon juice. The tub contains

  1.  200 grams of all-natural honey wax (there are other tub sizes)
  2. reusable, washable pulls; and 
  3. wooden spatulas. 
It can be used hot or cold, which means that you can use it as is or after heating.


How to use

Nanay Rose's sticks & pulls honey wax
I follow the instructions on the back, from washing the area with soap and water to the proper way of pulling the strip of cloth (against the direction of hair growth). From my experience, Nanay Rose's honey wax works best when heated: the wax is softer and easier to spread, and it removes unwanted hair more efficiently and also hurts less. Using it cold is not bad, but it's definitely way better if you go the effort of heating the wax for a few seconds in the microwave and waiting for it to cool down just enough to be applied.

Repeat the application as needed, and presto, you have smooth and hair-free skin.

The washable strips are also useful and very convenient, and they worked better for me than the separate pack of hair removal paper I've bought.


TIP: A common problem when applying this product is the heating part. Just put it in a microwave for a few seconds and use it immediately when it is cool enough to the touch. Test it first so as not to burn your skin. Also, do not overdry it because if you leave it out for too long, it will be crystalline solid (at least for a small isolated heap).



CONCLUSION: Does this honey wax works?

Nanay Rose's Sticks & Pulls honey wax is good the first few times and I honestly actually loved it, but after several months the honey wax has lost its stickiness, which basically means it has become useless. :( I still have a lot of wax left since I only use it for underarms, but like I said, it won't pull out any hairs anymore, except maybe one or two strands every application.

There are favorable and not-so-favorable reviews about this wax, so if you want to try it, buy the smallest tub.

In general, what I like about this wax:

  • All natural: your skin is safe from chemicals and irritation
  • Complete package: comes with wooden applicator that, yes, looks like a popsickle stick but effectively spreads the wax unto skin, as well as washable cloths
  • Local: available exclusively in Watsons and SM Department Stores
And what I don't like:
  • Repetition: you have to apply the wax a couple of times to completely clear out the hair, but the pain is minimal and it doesn't hurt much unlike those you see in TV
  • Effing useless after several months: Maybe it was made to be consumable the first few months/uses, but I didn't see anything like that on the label, so *shrug.*

2 comments:

  1. This product didn't work for me even on the first try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did work for me the first few times, and then I don't know what happened. I've tried other brands of wax, and some are better than this one.

      Delete